Home History Provincial Priory Preceptories News & Events Contact Us Masonic Links

Chronological Events Poignant to The Provincial Priory of Somerset

Home

© Copyright of the Provincial Priory of Somerset 2014

1770

Templar Sections worked in Ancient Craft Lodges.

1791

Grand Conclave formed. Thomas Dunkerley, Grand Master.


Antiquity Encampment constituted

1813

Union of Grand Lodges.

1845

Supreme Council 33° A&A Rite founded.

1846

Col.Charles Kerneys Kerneys Tynte, Provincial Grand Commander for Somersetshire, installed as Grand Master.


Records of Great Priory confirm the constitution of the Provincial Priory of Somersetshire in this year.

1852

Bladud Preceptory No.40 warranted.

1855

First meeting of Provincial Grand Conclave.


James Randolph installed as Provincial Grand Commander.

1862

Charter of Compact.

1865

Randall Wilbraham Falconer installed as Provincial Grand Commander.

1871

Capt.the Hon.Arthur Wellington Alexander Nelson Hood installed as Provincial Grand Commander by V.E. Sir Kt. Sir Patrick Colquhoun, Grand Chancellor.

1872

Worlebury Preceptory of St.Dunstan No.121, warranted.

1874

Title of Provincial Grand Conclave changed to Provincial Priory and that of Provincial Grand Commander to Provincial Prior.

1880

By-Laws finally approved and Provincial Officers appointed. Included a fine for any Provincial Officer, Presiding Preceptor or Preceptory being absent, without sufficient cause, from a Provincial Meeting.

1889

Province re-named Provincial Priory of Somerset and Monmouth   


Col.Alfred Thrale Perkins installed as Provincial Prior by Sir Kt. Colonel Shadwell H.Clerk, Great Sub-Prior. Provincial Officers were appointed and mention made to the lamented death of the Provincial Prior nominate V.E.Sir Kt. Brigadier General Alexander William Adair.

1914

Morganwg Preceptory No.200 consecrated by the Provincial Prior who was then installed as Preceptor of the new Preceptory.


Province re-named Provincial Priory of Somerset, Monmouth and South Wales.

1918

A Priory of Malta followed the Meeting when 10 candidates were admitted

1920

King Ina Preceptory No.211, warranted.

1923

Provincial Meeting held in Taunton under the banner of King Ina Preceptory No.211, it was followed by a Priory of Malta held under the banners of Antiquity Encampment No.1 and Bladud Preceptory No.40. Six installed Preceptors were received as Priors of the Order, and nine Brother Knights admitted.

1927

Selwood Preceptory of St.John No.244 warranted.

1928

Frank Pearson Skeffington Cresswell installed as Provincial Prior by the Very High and Eminent Knight C.W.Napier-Clavering, Great Senishal.


The Provincial Prior spoke of the steady growth of the Order in the Province, in 1882 there were four Preceptories with a total membership of 50 – 60, now there were seven Preceptories with a total membership of over 260.

1929

The Provincial Prior announced his intention of reviving the Provincial Council as provided for in the By-Laws. It was agreed that a capitation fee of 1/- should be paid to Provincial Priory on behalf of every Knight in the Province.

1934

After notification being given the the previous year, the Roll of present Provincial Officers was called for the first time, six were absent.


The Provincial Prior announced his intention to appoint a Bodyguard in accordance with the authority recently granted by Great Priory.

1937

Frederick Lace installed as Provincial Prior, following the death of his predecessor, by the Very High and Eminent Great Senishal, The Right Hon. Lord Harris.

1940

It was reported that the Provincial Prior's Bodyguard was now functioning.

1948

The Giraldis Cambrensis Preceptory No.319 consecrated.

1952

The wide area covered by the Province meant that members from Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire attending the meeting (held in Frome) have to spend two nights and three days away from home.

1953

Special meeting held for the purpose of winding up the affairs of the Province which would cease to exist on 30th June. It was decided that after all agreed expenses, including all those with the Installation of both Provincial Priors had been met, and all outstanding bills had been paid, any balance remaining in the accounts should be divided in proportion to the number of Preceptories i.e. Somerset 5/8 ths: Monmouth and South Wales 3/8 ths.


Over 100 Knights including five Provincial Priors, were present to witness the inauguration of the province of Somerset, and the Installation of the Provincial Prior E.Kt. George Travers Biggs. The ceremony held in Bath, was conducted by the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master, The Right Honourable Lord Harris, assisted by Officers of Great Priory. During the course of the meeting the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master presented a Centenary Warrant to Bladud Preceptory No.40.

1954

The V.E. Provincial Prior expressed his thanks to E.Kts.S.R.Naish and E.W.Smith of Antiquity Encampment No.1 who had presented the processional sword for use at Provincial meetings.

1957

Estune Command Preceptory No.354, warranted.

1958

Revised Provincial By-Laws were approved.

1962

The V.E. Provincial Prior explained his plan for a pool for the exchange of Provincial Mantle badges. This resulted in the appointment of a Badge secretary whose duties now form part of those undertaken by the Provincial Warden of Regalia.

1965

William Blake Clatworthy installed as Provincial Prior by the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master, The Right Honourable Lord Harris, assisted by the Officers of Great Priory.

1975

Keynsham Preceptory of St.Keyna No.455, warranted.

1976

Cumba Preceptory No.476, warranted.

1980

Meeting of Great Priory held in Wells

1985

E.Kt. David Palmer installed as Provincial Prior by the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master, Harold Devereaux Still, assisted by Officers of Great Priory.

1887

Revised Provincial By-Laws were approved.

1987

Provincial Priory held at Keynsham.

1988

King Arthur of Avalon Preceptory No.551, warranted.

1996

The Sesquicentennial (150th) Meeting of the Provincial Priory was held at the Masonic Hall, Bath on the 7th September 1996, under the Banners of Camp of Antiquity No.1, Bladud Preceptory No.41 and Worlebury Preceptory of St. Dunstan No.121. Prior to the meeting, a Service of Thanksgiving was held at Bath Abbey, to which the Ladies were also invited.

1997

E.Kt.Michael Veric Walsingham installed as Provincial Prior by the Very High and Right Eminent Great Seneshal – in Charge, The Rt-Hon. The Lord Swansea, assisted by Officers of Great Priory, at an Especial Chapter of the Provincial Priory, held at the Masonic Hall, Keynsham.

1999

Venue of Provincial Priory moved to Nailsea.

2002

During 2002 a black tie dinner for Knights and their families, followed by musical entertainment, was hosted by the then Provincial Prior, Michael Walsingham, and held at Nailsea Masonic Centre.

2003

Exmoor Preceptory No.638, warranted.

2005

In this year, and in order to maintain the traditional meeting date, the Provincial Meeting took place in Frome, relinquishing the Nailsea venue to a Craft Lodge who had a previous claim on the Centre of the first Saturday in September.

2006

E.Kt.Barry Desmond Burridge installed as Provincial Prior by the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master, Leslie Felgate Dring assisted by Officers of Great Priory, at an Especial Chapter of the Provincial Priory, held at the Masonic Hall, Weston-super-Mare on 30th September. This date was selected by Mark Masons’ Hall as being convenient for the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master.

2007

As in 2006, the Provincial Meeting also took place in Weston-Super-Mare on the first Saturday in September. Following this meeting the Provincial Prior decided it would be in the interests of the Province to return to Nailsea and hold the meeting on a regular date other then the first Saturday in September. Hence the second Monday in September was agreed and at the same time the format of the meeting changed with the Meeting taking place during the morning followed by lunch.

2008

Our Lady of Walsingham Preceptory No.672, the Bodyguard Preceptory, warranted.

2009

The first of a proposed biennial Family Church Service held at Weston-Super-Mare.

2010

A second Somerset Preceptory of Improvement established in Frome.

2012

Templecombe Preceptory No.686, warranted and consecrated.  


Sword of Chivalry presented to the Province, beginning its never ending pilgrimage around the Preceptories in Somerset

2015

This year the Annual Meeting of Somerset Provincial Priory took place at the Webbington Hotel, Loxton on Monday 14th September; a necessary larger venue to accommodate the number of Knights attending.


R.E.Kt.Barry Desmond Burridge, the Provincial Prior for Somerset, was appointed and invested by the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master, as a Knight Commander of the United Orders.

2017

After 11 years as Provincial Vice-Chancellor, V.E.Kt. John S. Widdicombe retired; but only to be come the Chancellor.


At the Provincial meeting that same year E.Kt. Paul J. Davis was invested as the Provincial Sub-Prior, succeeding E.Kt. Neil B. Hawes.

2019

At the Bladud Preceptory Meeting held in February, V.E.Kt.John Pearson was presented with a certificate to commemorate his 50 years as a Knight Templar, by the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master Paul Raymond Clement G.C.T.


At the same meeting, which was also an Official Provincial Team Visit the New Provincial Banner, manufactured and presented to the Province by Mrs Verity Morss, the wife of the then Provincial 2nd Constable, was dedicated by the Most Eminent and Supreme Grand Master Paul Raymond Clement G.C.T.

2019/20

In November 2019 King Ina Preceptory No.211 achieved 100 years of continuous working, and at the first meeting fallowing that date in February 2020 the Preceptory celebrated the event with the R.E.Kt.Malcolm Earnest Slater G.C.T. OStJ, the Past Great Seneschal attending to present the Centenary Warrant.

2020

17th March saw the General Suspension of All Masonic Activity.